“Transition Community College” – A “Networked Localization” (+PDF) Vision by Willi Paul, Planetshifter.com
“Transition Community College” – A “Networked Localization” Vision (+PDF) by Willi Paul, Planetshifter.com Media
The Transition movement represents one of the most promising ways of engaging people and communities to take the far-reaching actions that are required to mitigate the effects of peak oil, climate change and the economic crisis. Furthermore, these re-localization efforts are designed to result in a life that is more fulfilling, more socially connected and more equitable than the one we have today.
Transition Community College (TCC) courses are from 2 – 6 weeks in duration and are taught by local business folk and practitioners. TCC is a “pay what you can / collaborate” fee schedule. For-profit and non-profit sponsors teach classes where ever possible. Online and on-site classrooms are encouraged to minimize tool, material and transportation costs.
This is a networked localization system whereby the local focus of the courses and teachers can be leveraged online by free or open source technology. This is the dual community focus or synergy of TCC.
Transition Community College is about a community’s shared journey and initiation into a saner future.
* * * * * * *
Proposed Transition Community College Courses -
• Introduction to Permaculture – sponsored by the Urban Permaculture Institute
• Neighborhood Revitalization for High School Kids
• Regenerative Tools and Project Management – sponsored Eastbay Permaculture Guild
• Finance – sponsored by Slow Money
• Natural Health and First Aid – sponsored by Earthbeam Natural Foods
• Sustainability Planning for Seniors
• GMO’s and Heathy Cooking
• Reduce, Re-Use, Re-Cycle – sponsored by City of Palo Sustainability
• Basements and Garages and other Community Spaces
• Fracking – Education / Action
• Re-Defining DIY – the second generation skill set
• Tiny House Building and Selling
• Myth Club – sponsored by planetshifter.com
• Small Repair Shop – sponsored by The Repair Café Palo Alto
• 3D Printing for Everyone!
• Wireless IT Design and Installation
• Nature Lore and ReWilding
• Recipes for a Community Pantry
• Play Better Coed Soccer
• Local - Regional Strategies for Climate Change
* * * * * * *
Community Learning Models -
Two leading community learning projects for your consideration include:
The Permaculture Skills Center, Sebastopol, is a 5-acre demonstration site and educational institution dedicated to sharing regenerative land development and management practices.
City Repair (Portland, OR) facilitates artistic and ecologically-oriented placemaking through projects that honor the interconnection of human communities and the natural world.
* * * * * * *
“The Transition Movement believes that is up to us in our local communities to step into a leadership position....”
|Transition Community College.pdf||331.88 KB|